Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Removing Large Electrolytics

On Saturday, 1 September 2018 20:48:34 UTC+1, Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 08/28/2018 01:47 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 04:03:23 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

Sounds about par for the course. Go back further to paper caps and it'd
be a surprise to find any still working properly. And yes, micamold were
paper caps.

I've got a box full of the oil & paper caps that come in cubiod cans and
they all tested fine (I have an awful lot of vintage spares here). Not so
sure about the tubular paper caps which I assume you're talking about,
though.

Moisture + acid paper + foil = mess. That'll take a lot longer if the
cap has metal on five sides.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

My prewar metal can paper caps are all wax sealed, and every last one tested dead as a very dead thing. The non-metal seal is where it can go wrong. Not sure why they didn't use bitumen.

NT