Chris Lewis

Default Electric baseboard heater question

According to CBhvac stephenaddressscfrewedonpurpose@carolinabreezehva c.com:

Can tell you right now, the thermostats will be line voltage and NOT 24VAC,
but 220VAC...the rating on the stat is all he put up, and most line stats
also have the 24VAC rating listed, simply because they can be used in a low
voltage setup....I have not seen a baseboard heater that had a 24VAC
transformer in it in so long...and the one we DID see had been rigged up
that way.

As described, the OP's system appears to have what is likely a 24V transformer
on it. It also appears to be _two_ circuits fired off a single T-stat. And
note the other posting about "great white north".

In the installation I did it had two 2000W baseboards and a 3000W fan heater
on a single T-stat - two 240V circuits. The building had approximately 12Kw
of electric heat in total (200A service).

I assure you, that one T-stat didn't pass 240V ~35A. It was one of those
itsy-bitsy round (chromolox if you remember that far back) with a teeny-weenie
mercury switch (that could probably safely pass all of about an amp or two)
connected to the relay with 18ga wire.

AFAIK the relay isn't usually inside the baseboards. The relays go
somewhere else (ie: the panel or some other accessible place) to control
multiple large loads at once. In ours, the relay went in the cavity behind the
wall heater, and controlled two 240V circuits.

Please try to trim followups. I know I write good ;-), but wading through
pages of my own posting to find a few lines of response is a bit of a PITA.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est