Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fox's Mercantile Fox's Mercantile is offline

Default Replacing Large Electrolytics

On 8/24/18 6:42 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
I had 3 faulty electrolytics; all 30V/5500uF. In my spares bin I found 6
NOS (new old stock) electros of values 35V/3300uF which when stacked 2
high and wired in parallel occupy - fortunately - the same footprint as
the ones that failed.
These spares, though unused, are probably 40 years old. Will they need re-
forming gradually over 24hrs before installing?

Reforming is a fool's game.
They either work to being with or they're bad.
That size isn't cheap, but if you buy new ones, that's the end of your
repair.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Sprague/TVA1229?qs=%2fha2pyFadujX3auk1NrQ%2fV7hXwNYjanuW1q cIa3mLSA%3d

--
"I am a river to my people."