Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Removing Large Electrolytics

On 2018/08/22 2:36 PM, Ron D. wrote:
Once you remove the solder "ADD MORE". Yep, add more. Suck that out.

It has the tendency to heat other areas.

You can also add a solder removal alloy form Chip-Quik.

You can break off the tabs sometimes. You can cut the can sometimes. I'd use these methods at last resort.

Solder with a low temperature allow after removing most of the solder and suck out is my best suggestion.

I too like the idea of using a small amount of Chip-Qick after first
removing as much solder as possible. This may make the solder bond so
weak that it will break out with very little force. If not, then dig out
a heat gun and secure the board - heating the area and pull on the
capacitor at the same time, I've done that by tying a weight to the item
to remove and let gravity do the work while I fart around with the heat
gun, etc.

John

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com