Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_4_] Baron[_4_] is offline

Default Removing Large Electrolytics

Cursitor Doom prodded the keyboard with:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 21:54:12 -0700, stratus46 wrote:

I use a Metcal which is a 40 Watt iron very well controlled but
when removing caps from computer motherboards where there are no
thermal reliefs to the ground plane, NO soldering iron can unsolder
it alone.

You're not kidding. My largest iron is 40W/80W switchable. 40W won't
touch it and I'm not risking 80W! The biggest problem seems to be
the cap case - a long 1" dia aluminium tube with 3 tags at the
bottom going straight to PCB grounds. It's acting like a very
effective heat sink. Going to have to trash the caps from above.

Have you tried making a soldering bit with a piece of split copper
tube and a cooks torch to heat it. Apply to all the pins up at once.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.