Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Removing Large Electrolytics

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 21:54:12 -0700, stratus46 wrote:

I use a Metcal which is a 40 Watt iron very well controlled but when
removing caps from computer motherboards where there are no thermal
reliefs to the ground plane, NO soldering iron can unsolder it alone.

You're not kidding. My largest iron is 40W/80W switchable. 40W won't
touch it and I'm not risking 80W! The biggest problem seems to be the cap
case - a long 1" dia aluminium tube with 3 tags at the bottom going
straight to PCB grounds. It's acting like a very effective heat sink.
Going to have to trash the caps from above.