Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Looking for a power washer

On 8/12/2018 9:14 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 20:41:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/12/2018 7:50 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 12:44:27 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

Finding 3000 for 125. Want electric. ****ty sidewalks, crappy siding. Ill use it once a year, maybe less.
Gas is out. It would rot like my other gas tools.

Ranch house.

Is 3000 needed or is 2 good enough?

Electric pressure washers seem to fall into 2 categories. 120v models
that lie about their performance and a 240v 5hp model that will
actually get some work done (2700-3000 PSI at 2.5 GPM).
The 5HP electric runs with the consumer grade gas machines.
If time is not important to you a little unit will work but it is
painfully slow if you have a lot to wash.

Sure, gas with higher pressure is better, but it depends on use.
My total time this year is about a half hour. If I had a gas unit, I'd
spend more time than that adding fuel and then draining it for storage.
If I used it every two weeks, it would be gas.

You are not pressure washing the siding on a house in a half hour tho.
I can't do my driveway that quick either. Even with the 2700 PSI
machine it is a few hours. We have a little electric but it is just a
toy we use for washing the love bugs off the car or cleaning out the
trash cans. Much else and I fire up a big boy.
I really have more trouble with my well water killing the pump than
the engine not starting. We usually just keep cleaning something until
it is out of gas.
I would consider a propane conversion if I had something that was used
infrequently. I did it to my generator. It is $100 or so and pretty
easy to install.

I had a cheap electric and it was not adequate for siding that I could
not get within maybe a foot of. Neighbor was washing his house with a
gas model with an extension. He said he once did it for a living and it
was not just a matter of pressure but also flow rate. My cheap machine
did not last long either as it developed a cracked metal line. Did not
think it was worth trying to salvage.