Posted to alt.home.repair
James Prescott Joules James Prescott Joules is offline

Default Looking for a power washer

On 8/13/2018 9:55 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 7:50:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 12:44:27 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

Finding 3000 for 125. Want electric. ****ty sidewalks, crappy siding. Ill use it once a year, maybe less.
Gas is out. It would rot like my other gas tools.

Ranch house.

Is 3000 needed or is 2 good enough?

Electric pressure washers seem to fall into 2 categories. 120v models
that lie about their performance and a 240v 5hp model that will
actually get some work done (2700-3000 PSI at 2.5 GPM).
The 5HP electric runs with the consumer grade gas machines.
If time is not important to you a little unit will work but it is
painfully slow if you have a lot to wash.

There might be a third category. I have a 120V electric power washer that
someone gave to me. IDK how old it is, suspect it's probably 25+.
It's very heavy, a pain to lug around. I think it's supposed to run on
a 20A circuit. I've used it on 15, it will usually work, but it needs
a 10g extension cord, or it will trip. It has plenty of pressure to do
the jobs around the house here for me, especially cleaning the siding.
For sidewalk, it's fine, more pressure there would make it go faster.
I wonder how it compares to the new electric ones? This one looks like
it's industrial quality, I see those new electric ones in HD that look
lightweight by comparison.

A 180° two-phase electric pressure washer would be more powerful than a 120v single phase unit.