Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Machine Mart rant

On 12/08/2018 22:23, Theo wrote:
Does anyone actually buy stuff from Machine Mart?

So I'm googling around for a tool, and I find something at a plausible price
from Machine Mart.

OK, let's see if the local branch has stock.
Oh, you can't - except by calling them. Which I can't do because it's
Sunday evening.
Click and collect takes 3-4 days.
I can order it for next day delivery but that costs a fiver
If I do that, I get the statutory 14 day returns refund
But if I go to the shop and they have one in stock, they'll only give me a
credit note (valid 12 months) if I need to return it

Meanwhile, since they won't sell it to me without hassle, I find the same
tool for 22% less at Amazon and 16% less at CPC. So what's the point of
having shops exactly?

Ignoring the prices, a shop that can't tell you whether something is in
stock and gives you fewer rights over buying online, doesn't
seem a great proposition. I could understand if it was a family
ironmongers, but a national chain?

/rant

Theo

I don't use them much, but sometimes it is worth handling stuff to get a
feel for its weight and build quality. Often not bad as a "one stop
shop" since they keep a good stock of things like air line fittings or
welding accessories and consumables. They have been going for a long
time, so its not surprising that their IT isn't as slick as newer firms.