Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Walmart LED lamps

On Wed, 08 Aug 2018 23:46:22 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 18:59:34 -0400, "Stephen B."
wrote:

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I've been buying the basic LED A series replacements for a few years now,
and what you say about heat dissipation is right.
They hate to run in a base up configuration. Anything above a 60w equivalent
will burn out lickety split when run base up. Even the 60w equivalents have
a seriously shortened life because all the heat gets trapped in the base
where the electronics are.

Saw vents into the plastic area near the screw in base for better
coolth to the power supply? Some new LED bulbs are designed for that.

I have a few ceiling lights I have been thinking of putting LED into.
How are they on their side?

I've had no trouble with any on their side.

I have LED PAR lights - several years now with no problem. Also
Philips "flat" type LRDs base up in enclosed fixtures - over 5 years
now. I had a bunch of cheap chinese crap GR10 and mr16 bulbs that went
like flashbulbs - then I replaced them with brand name (Philips and
Noma) GR10s and they are standing upo REALLY well.

My Chi MR16s have been fine. Most of the corn cop style burned out
quickly, but the A-19 shape with pcb inside have lasted well.

I've got a lot of TCP A19s in base-up configuration - no failures yet
out of 36 in one installation - almost 2 years now - both 60 and 100
watt equivalents.

I'm not having any problems with TCP or Philips, either.

There are lots of cheap crap LEDs that are not worth taking home

Yes, but Chinese vendors are upgrading their quality now that the
others have gone out of business, been phased out, or upgraded.

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French