Toller

Default Life Expectancy of Cedar Siding?

"Paul Rouse" wrote in message
om...
I am building a new house (Mid-West - Near Chicago) and I am trying to
decide between natural cedar clapboard (primed and painted) or a
synthetic such as primed and painted cement fiber board (i.e., Hardi
Board). My builder is strongly discouraging me from deciding on
natural cedar. I have also asked all of the building suppliers in the
area about natural cedar - they all look at me like i am crazy to want
to use natural cedar. The collective opinion is that natural cedar
will only look good for 5 to 10 years (regardless of paint job).
After 5 to 10 years, they claim that the cedar will show serious signs
of decay.

Is this an accurate description considering the cold winter climate?
I am concerned that they are pushing me towards a solution that may
have a higher profit margin (or some other motive).

My 20 year old house is in the same climate. There is a little decay where
the roof meets another level's wall, but it is otherwise fine. If I wasn't
afraid of heights and was willing to get up and restain there more
frequently, I think that would be okay also. As it is, I will probably have
some trim added to hide it next time I have it stained.

Personally I would go with plastic because I think cedar is too expensive,
but my wife obviously didn't agree with me.