Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help to connect external hard drive

On Friday, 13 July 2018 21:45:46 UTC+1, ss wrote:
I currently use an old hard drive as an external, I bought a conversion
kit off ebay and all works fine.
I have now taken the hard drive from an unused virgin top box and hoping
to use that also as an external hard drive. Both are Seagate 3.5, Virgin
one 500GB.
I am assuming I would connect it to my PC and reformat. However I am not
quite sure of the connections to make as they are slightly different to
my current external one, as per image.
Any help or advice would be good.

https://imgur.com/a/BZmyhop

Once you've got your SATA-USB adaptor, you'll need to do 2 things.
1. Delete the partitions on the disc & make a new partition
2. Format it. If you use windows, use FAT or NTFS. For linux, FAT or Ext4.

Make sure your data is backed up first, wiping the wrong disc is not impossible.

NT