Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default DMM banana jack inputs

On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 7:47:57 PM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:

I've got a Fluke 189 DMM. The banana jack inputs are getting flaky.
With the probes or input pushed up or down they sometimes loose continuity.
I opened it up and looked at the solder joints... they look fine.
The banana jacks are encased in plastic so it's hard to see exactly.
I tried squeezing them in some, it's maybe a bit better, but no one
wants even a bit of flaky in their test gear. Any ideas? (about how I might
fix it.)

** You have tried using cleaning fluid ???

PCB cleaner or even WD40 will do.

An old handkerchief pushed home with a small drill bit is one way to introduce some fluid and clean the inside surfaces.

..... Phil

No! I wiped 'em with IPA and a wooden cotton swab thing.
I'm away from the lab for a while so I won't be able to try
some other cleaner til I return.

George H.