Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default DMM banana jack inputs

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 5:42:14 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 13:08:28 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've got a Fluke 189 DMM. The banana jack inputs are getting flaky.
With the probes or input pushed up or down they sometimes loose continuity.
I opened it up and looked at the solder joints... they look fine.
The banana jacks are encased in plastic so it's hard to see exactly.
I tried squeezing them in some, it's maybe a bit better, but no one
wants even a bit of flaky in their test gear. Any ideas? (about how I might
fix it.)

If the banana jacks really are intermittent, replacement are
available:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fluke+187+jacks
Judging by the number sold (247+105) it seems to be a common problem.

More Fluke parts, from Fluke:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/fluke-usa/m.html?_nkw=
Now we know what usually breaks on a Fluke meter.

Thanks Jeff, looks like I'll be ordering one of those.
(As you can see it's hard to get inside the plastic.)

George H.

Hints:
1. Beware of new and improved.
2. That which is most difficult to replace, is usually the problem.
3. When all else has been replaced, that which remains, no matter how
improbable, is the culprit.

Grin, for number three I had this circuit that was leaking ~1 Meg ohm,
I couldn't figure it out, I'm ripping out everything. I finally pull
out the toggle switch. Bingo! We had a box full of toggle switches
of which ~10% had a resistance in the meg ohm region when 'open'.
(Hmm that might count for #2 also.)

GH.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558