Posted to alt.home.repair
danny burstein danny burstein is offline

Default update, was: any window air conditioners with "sleeves" still made?

In m danny burstein writes:

Years ago I used to install Friedrich air conditioners
which were built in two parts. A bunch of competitors
had this option, too.

First was the sleeve, which weighed just a couple of pounds.
This was easy to fasten into place - particularly helpful
if placing the unit at the top of the window.

====== snip ======

Found one. Natch, of course after I installed a standard unit.

Anyway, for future reference this one is super duper cool.
In addition to using a sleeve, it's also got a feature
I've been waiting for in a window unit:

It's a Variable Output Inverter design

In other words, while a standard a/c of, say, 10,000 BTUs
will have the thermostat toggle the compressor _fully on_
and _fully off_ as needed, this one will ramp up
and down. So if, say, you only needed 3,500 BTU's to keep
cool, the traditional ones would be on for a minute, off
for two, on for one, rinse, lather, repeat.

This better design will downshift to the lower number,
keeping the temperature closer, be less noisy, reduce
the power demand when in "on" position, etc.

It's also about 20 percent more efficient than the
older design...

Oh, and much less of a starting surge demand, which
is always nice. Triply so if you're using your own
power supply (backup generator, etc.)

Anyway, it looks like there are only a couple of models
available in the US. More outside...

The one I found is the Lucky Goldstar ("LG") LW1517IVSM
14,000 BTU DUAL Inverter Smart wi-fi Enabled
Window Air Conditioner

http://www.lg.com/us/air-conditioners/lg-LW1517IVSM

Annoyingly it's in the $450 range, which is about 50 pct more than
a commodity unit would cost. But If I was buying a window
unit now, it's the one I'd get.

Oh... the variable output also comes in handy if you turn
it off for, say, the weekend, and come back to a 95 degree
room. A unit spec'ed for simply maintating a 75 degree temperure
(a 20 degree difference) might only be 4,000 BTU. But that would
take just about forever to bring the room down to what you want.

Since this one has a 14,000 BTU capacity, it'll work at 95 pct
or so of its rating for a half hour, and then throttle back.