Posted to rec.woodworking
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Phase converter

On 6/15/2018 1:55 AM, Bill wrote:

I was looking at a jointer with a 3HP 3-phase motor.Â* I'd like to run this
from my home which has 220v. Would I be able to run it on a 20A
(preferably) or 30A circuit?

Can you give me an example of a "phase converter" which would be up to the
task?Â* I saw one for $89, but I couldn't tell whether it would be up to the
task or not.Â* I imagine it might be wiser to avoid 3-phase and keep
looking, but I thought I would check with the experts here first.

Thanks!
Bill

I've studiously avoided any 3-phase machines although I have 4 different
3-horsepower motors in the shop -- it always seemed to be too much effort.
But if you are really interested in a phase converter, I just saw a 7-1/2HP
rotary converter on ebay for $389. I'd really be dubious of a $89 unit's
abilities.

Not affiliated or anything...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-1-2-Hp-St...-/142825491921