Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default any window air conditioners with "sleeves" still made?

On 6/15/2018 7:15 AM, Thomas wrote:
On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 1:23:25 AM UTC-4, danny burstein wrote:
Years ago I used to install Friedrich air conditioners
which were built in two parts. A bunch of competitors
had this option, too.

First was the sleeve, which weighed just a couple of pounds.
This was easy to fasten into place -

Definitely still make them. I bought a 'regular' AC from Wally online and came across quite a few while shopping.

Over the years I've installed a few "made for window" A/C units through
the wall. Just measured the proposed units to ensure that the side
venting would not be blocked by the framing studs. It's a bit more
involved than those units made with the sleeve, but the principle is the
same.

Problem was the units were noisy and crap and just didn't last. Cured
that two years ago with a mini-split system and no looking back. Best
move I even made in the HVAC department.