Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_5_] OFWW[_5_] is offline

Default Phase converter

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 01:55:21 -0400, Bill wrote:

I was looking at a jointer with a 3HP 3-phase motor. I'd like to
run this from my home which has 220v. Would I be able to run it
on a 20A (preferably) or 30A circuit?

Can you give me an example of a "phase converter" which would be
up to the task? I saw one for $89, but I couldn't tell whether
it would be up to the task or not. I imagine it might be wiser
to avoid 3-phase and keep looking, but I thought I would check
with the experts here first.

Thanks!
Bill

If it were me, and the jointers is really clean and knives in good
shape and everything looks right on the bed, etc. Then I'd check on a
single phase motor, for pricing. Check the frame size of the original
so you can get an equivalent 1ph motor and use that as a bargaining
chip. Very few people have 3 ph at home.