Old June 15th 18, 08:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default any window air conditioners with "sleeves" still made?

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 15 Jun 2018 01:23:20 -0400, danny burstein
wrote:

Years ago I used to install Friedrich air conditioners
which were built in two parts. A bunch of competitors
had this option, too.

First was the sleeve, which weighed just a couple of pounds.
This was easy to fasten into place - particularly helpful
if placing the unit at the top of the window.

Once this was properly fastened, then I'd simply pick up
the main part of the unit and slide it in.

Anyway.. while I can still find similar arrangements
for through-the-wall air conditioners, I haven't located
any that are built for windows.

- The window design is a bit more efficient energy wise
as the outdoor "cooling air" that flows over the compressor
comes in through the sides of the unit and out the back.

The "through-the-wall" ones use just the back grill for
both the incoming and outgoing air (there's a baffle
in between) so it doesn't flow as easily and costs
a performance penalty.

Thanks muchly for any pointers

It doesn't work for the top of a double-hung window, but when I lived on
the 5th floor and didn't want to drop my window AC on the people below,
I nailed a shelf to the outside window sill, with a little leg to keep
the shelf close to level. Then I could install the AC and could open
the window later without it falling on the drug addicts next door. (I
lived next door to Teen Challenge, and though they were drug addicts,
they never caused any trouble in the 11 years I was there. Read The
Cross and the Switchblade, by David Wilkerson, or watch the movie.)