View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Wireless Cuts Out - Interference ?

Every once in a while it disconnects. When I go to "Connect to" it can't find any networks. This last time I unplugged the MODEM or whatever you call it to see if it was putting out some interference and Windows could still not find any networks. Later it found some neighbors' wireless and displayed it though I can't connect because I don't have the password/key. Plug this one back in and after it reboots it connects again and all is well.

I have already changed the wireless board in this PC, a Gateway laptop. I had 4 of them so I got parts. One got broke, one got stole and one got whatever. With a different wireless board it still happens. My sister lives upstairs and her wireless reception is unreliable so she usually plugs in the RJ45 connector. I can't use any information from her because my connection down here is usually solid.

the way I see it, there is probably a strong source of interference. It seems the only logical explanation. My OS is tweaked well and normally it runs fine but this happens practically at random, but I think I can say it is during the day, not night.

Time before last I ran real quick down in the basement where the connection is wired and it was fine. If the MODEM had shut down or something it would not be, and that does not explain why this SECOND wireless board can't pick up anything when that happens.

I doubt it is Windows going onto some mode or updating because this is not 10, it is Vista. I don't feel like being an unwitting beta tester and all updates are turned off. It doesn't even look for them. So it ain't that.

So, while I can find out what frequencies these things run on easily, what I CAN'T find out is whatever else might run on the same frequencies. Intermittently.

I remember a wireless security camera years ago. It was a good deal except for one thing - whenever it was on you couldn't talk on any cordless phone in the house. I think this is something like that, some sort of thing people use that uses the same band as wireless internet.

What ?