Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.home.repair

Default TOM R, DUMBASS AT LARGE, AXES ABOUT "Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?"

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:59:56 -0500, "David" wrote:

aliash)" wrote in message
.. .

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 09:00:25 -0700, "fake vet Scatboi Colon La Edmund

On 2018-06-08 8:52 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 6/7/2018 6:20 PM, Checkmate wrote:
Checkmate! In article , nad318b404
@gmail.invalid says...

Time to trigger the right-wing snowflakes again. Melt, snowflakes,
melt!
On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 10:53:57 -0700, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

On 9/28/2016 6:18 PM, TomR wrote:
A friend of mine asked me today why the electrical outlets in my
house
were "upside down". They are positioned with the ground pin hole at
the top and the two slots of the outlet on the bottom. I agree
that,
to me, they "look" like they are upside down, and I think they would
"look" better with the ground pin hole on the bottom. But, my
belief
is that the National Electrical Code (NEC) is silent on this
question
and that there is no right or wrong orientation for electrical
outlets.

My friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him
that
electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside
down"
and that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin on the
bottom to pass the electrical inspection.

Is there anything in the NEC that says that one way is "upside down"
and the other way is the "correct" orientation?

Yer friend's code enforcement officials are probably a bunch of
banana-munchin' porch monkeys with not even the least idea of proper
code.
If ya had any sense, you'd know the ground pin always goes on the
top.
This is a safety precaution. Say someone were to drop a metal item
onto
the pins carrying the load. You'd have an instant fire which even
the
most modern fire department could probably not extinguish.

Wildly wrong. First, if a plug is seated properly there won't be any
metal
exposed; rubbery plug material will be flush against the plastic of
the
outlet cover. And second, if you have a loose plug exposing metal
(don't
do that), the ground pin is at the bottom, and a metal item falls on
there
shorting the neutral to the hot, you'd have an instant circuit breaker
trip is what you'd have. In a fraction of a second that outlet would
be as
dead as a doornail -- no voltage anywhere.

Oh no you DIN'T!

Are... are you attempting to be the resident expert on electrical
wiring
in AC now? Looks like I'm going to have to straighten you out on a few
things. First of all, the operative word in your statement above, is
*IF*. IF is one of the biggest words in the English language in this
case. Plugs are supposed to be plugged in all the way so that no
portion
of the conductors is exposed, but sometimes they come loose for any
number of reasons, leaving some of the conductors exposed. IF the hot
and neutral are mounted at the top, and IF a portion of the blades is
exposed, and IF something metal (perhaps a coin) were to fall on them
in
such a way as to complete a circuit, it *might* trip the breaker.

However, it's conceivable that it could produce an arc which could
cause
a fire, or you could even get a high resistance short, not drawing
enough
current to trip the breaker, but drawing enough to heat up the metal
object... and possibly causing a fire.

Please note that the National Electrical code does NOT specify which
mounting method must be used. In fact, several code committees have
discussed this topic and elected not to specify one way over the other.
I've seen some hospitals specify that the ground be mounted at the top,
for the reasons I've already mentioned, however there is no code
requirement to do so. Plugs are usually mounted with the hot and
neutral
at the top for no other reason than convention, and the fact that some
people are "bothered" by what they perceive as an "upside-down"
orientation.

Unless, of course, the circuit breakers were not up to code, in which
case
your problems are in the breaker box, not the outlet.

I hope that clears up any further ignorance on your part...

By smearing even more of it everywhere? Doubtful.

Thank you for backing my six, Chekky. Together we can make these
maroons smarter.

backing my six , lol

What is wrong with you?

More to the point, what is wrong with YOU, you black *******?

ground pin hole?

That's not all that's wrong with him!

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews