Old June 11th 18, 03:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,aus.religion.christian,alt.free.newsservers
David David is offline

Default TOM R, DUMBASS AT LARGE, AXES ABOUT "Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?"

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message

On 9/28/2016 6:18 PM, TomR wrote:
A friend of mine asked me today why the electrical outlets in my house
were "upside down". They are positioned with the ground pin hole at the
top and the two slots of the outlet on the bottom. I agree that, to me,
they "look" like they are upside down, and I think they would "look"
better with the ground pin hole on the bottom. But, my belief is that the
National Electrical Code (NEC) is silent on this question and that there
is no right or wrong orientation for electrical outlets.

My friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him that
electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside down" and
that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin on the bottom to
pass the electrical inspection.

Is there anything in the NEC that says that one way is "upside down" and
the other way is the "correct" orientation?

Yer friend's code enforcement officials are probably a bunch of
banana-munchin' porch monkeys with not even the least idea of proper code.
If ya had any sense, you'd know the ground pin always goes on the top. This
is a safety precaution. Say someone were to drop a metal item onto the pins
carrying the load. You'd have an instant fire which even the most modern
fire department could probably not extinguish.

I hope that clears up any further ignorance on your part...

don't be rude