Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Selectivity vs. sensitivity

wrote:

"Tuners that are beloved of the "FM DX" crowd will tend to have: "

" I want one with continuously variable IF bandwidth on the front. "

"** Such a feature is useful with AM reception but not with broadcast FM. "

The FM signal is inherently wide band, with +/-75 kHz deviation at peak audio level - if the IF bandwidth is less than 150kHz, distorted sound is the result.

I have a radio scanner ( AR 1000xlt ) with wide and narrow FM modes, 30kHz and 200kHz respectively. Listening to broadcast FM while in narrow mode is *intolerable*, in wide mode it sounds just fine.

I've had it in a couple of tuners and found it useful when DXing,

** Continuously variable ????

Or just a couple of settings.

FFS stop oversnipping !!!!

..... Phil