Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Saving LCD screens that were under water

On 06/07/2018 03:31 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 09:38:48 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 06/07/2018 09:11 AM, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 6/7/18 7:32 AM,
wrote:
On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 8:01:54 AM UTC-4, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Throw the stuff out and spend your time fixing the roof.

That IS rather ironic coming from you - ;-)

My roof leaks. I have enough sense to have tarps protecting stuff.

Could have been surface water. My back yard occasionally floods
too--it's a very pleasant place but is a former pond bottom.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
(Who has a deep affection for his storm drain)

It was not the roof, a water pipe broke the main brass valve. The water
was shut off at that valve and there was heat tape on the valve and the
pipe below that valve, but that heat tape must have failed. Water was
pouring out of the building. It's hard to tell how deep it got. I guess
the weather stripping was pretty good to allow the water to build up.

I'm still trying to decide whether to destroy the building or to gut it.
One wall actually is pushed off the floor, but the porch is holding it
tight.

Little by little I have been salvaging stuff. All clothing and any cloth
is trash. All books are trash, all furniture is trash. But I have been
saving CDs and DVDs. They need to be washed is all. And saving all tools
and metal stuff. I decided to see what I could do with the electronics.
Several transistorized radios work fine, except for the speakers. But it
appears the LCD stuff is trash. That GPS screen is touch screen and the
touch part no longer works, plus the longer it's been plugged in, the
more of the screen is turning black. That GPS was never worthwhile
anyhow, so I I dont much care. That scanner was nice though. I guess
I'll just have to go on ebay and find a replacement.

There are a few pices of tube gear. I have not plugged them in, because
I fear water in the transformers. I'll probably pop the tops off them
transformers and see how they look inside. There were also some
computers in there. Old ones that I really wont miss. But I found that
all computer motherboards and cards do survive floods. But the drives
are all trash. But I am not gonna waste time on them computers. I may
salvege a few of the cards and the RAM, and send the rest of them to the
recycler.

Blech. Sorry to hear that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs