Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 11:44:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 04:14:12 GMT, sam F
m wrote:

replying to trader_4, sam F wrote:
receptacles are UL listed with the ground 'up', that is the proper way to
install one...

Bull****. The code and U/L are both silent about how you orient a
receptacle.

When I worked as an electrician on Army Core Of Engineers jobs, the Core wanted the ground hole on receptacles oriented where it was at the top. On horizontal receptacles, they wanted the neutral at the top. One thing they were worried about was ceiling tie wires falling against a plug that was pulled out a bit exposing the prongs. There must have been more than one instance of a tie wire causing fireworks when it fell against a plug that was hanging out. My personal preference is ground hole up because it's easier for me to insert a plug because I use the ground pin as a guide. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Zapped Monster