Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Reducing HV output voltage from Flyback/LOPT as used in arcade monitors

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 4:21:50 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
On 2018/06/06 12:14 PM, Terry Schwartz wrote:
catastrophic failure likely to wreck the envelope so it cannot be rebuilt.

Rebuilt? Seriously? I think the last CRT rebuilder went out of business about a decade ago. Hawkeye. The only rebuilding operation left in the western world is in the Vintage TV museum, and that's only for show.

I think many arcade machines now are repaired by subbing in an LCD panel from a computer monitor. I've seen several, and they work great. Sometimes a small circuit board is required to invert polarities, etc., but there are a handful of guys selling those on line.

John, have you considered the LCD sub?

Terry

We are trying to avoid going LCD, the original picture tube is just
fine, and gives a more realistic image on the customer's cabaret style
Pacman game. LCDs are flat, picture tubes were mostly curved.

We do do LCD conversions, but the reason I started this investigation is
other folks also like to repair monitors and when I realized a potential
risk I decided to do something about it.

FYI, we still have over 100 monitors in our shop in various states from
NOS to POS (Peace Of S...) that we plan to save as many as possible for
museums and collectors who are our customers.

John :-#)#

PS, there are people who are rebuilding picture tubes in their
garages...small tubes for early sets, but it is only a matter of time
before they progress to larger tubes - if there is a market!

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Back in the 70s there were several companies that sold CRT rebuilding equipment out of the back of Radio Electronics and Electronic Servicing (and others). I came real close to buying one of those setups. I'm sure many others did and I'm sure some of the machines are still around, but the big problem would be sourcing the gun assy. For all we know, the Ruskies might still be making them.