Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Reducing HV output voltage from Flyback/LOPT as used in arcade monitors

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 10:12:14 AM UTC-5, Terry Schwartz wrote:
Given the thickness of the leaded glass on those CRTs, I doubt X-rays are a concern.

I would tend to agree, but radiation is not the only concern. There is the matter of spacing of the internal components as well as the thickness of the glass on the bell part. This does determine a limit as well and going much beyond it can cause a catastrophic failure likely to wreck the envelope so it cannot be rebuilt.

It also depends on the customer. If they are corporate and even give a thought to ISO compliance they won't like it. Even this modification if it brings it completely into specs is something ISO doesn't like. If they are informed of the excessive HV and go ahead and allow its use they become culpable for whatever happens due to that. If they are not notified then the servicer might just find out many new things about the legal system. I know it is not the US where we got more lawsuits than people, but they still have tort laws and there is still such a thing as ISO. Cheating the ISO can even result in criminal charges in some cases, though rare.

But you could always have the gamers wear tin-foil hats.

Tin is expensive. The **** you buy today is aluminum foil. While aluminum conducts electricity better than tin (Al 2.65*10^[10-8] v Sn 1.15*10^[10-7]) it has nothing to do with its admittance to "those" rays, or Xrays. Lead (Pb) would be better. The aluminum can create a reflection zone where the mind scrambling rays' effects are amplified. Lead however, fatigues too easily which makes it harder to fashion acceptable headwear using it. So it is no mystery why tin is so much more expensive. The damn conspirators are limiting production and buying up the supplies for their electronic contrivances to keep us in line, depriving us of the tin we need for those body suits. What else could it be ?

{for those humorically challenged - that last paragraph was a joke}