Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,sci.electronics.repair

Default Folded phone line can mess up DSL.

On Sun, 13 May 2018 03:27:18 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 11 May 2018 21:41:40 -0400, Jason
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I go to the NIC and put a Y connector in it,

Are there DSL isolators in line where they should be? I
couldn't tell from your post.

No. And it worked fine after I took out the extra cable. That's the
point.

You also moved the extra cable and connectors, which makes me suspect
that an intermittent connection. It takes a minute or three for the
ADSL modem to sync after the carrier returns, which makes cause and
effect type of troubleshooting rather difficult. You could wiggle the
connetions and NOT see any change in the lights on the modem. If you
suspect a bad connection, drag out a roll of CAT5 cable, and plug it
directly into the phone line where it enters the house (MPOE). Also,
disconnect the rest of the house from that might be loading the line.
If that works, your problem is somewhere in your inside wiring. If
the speed, SNR, noise power, and channel levels improve drastically
when you disconnect the hour phone wiring, then you probably are
missing a microfilter, have a microfilter installed backwards, or have
a bad microfilter. Or maybe you need a better microfilter:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/dsl/slides/DSL-microfilters.html
(4 inductors are better than 2).

--
Jeff Liebermann