Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,sci.electronics.repair

Default Folded phone line can mess up DSL.

On Fri, 11 May 2018 20:34:49 -0400, micky
wrote:

But how come it worked fine for the first 3 or 4 days I was back? And
at least 12 hours, maybe 2 days, before I left?

Coiling the cord makes something of an inductor. ADSL2+ goes up to
2MHz. If your coil of wire has enough inductance to act as a choke at
2MHz or less, the speed will slow down, but will not quit as it did in
your situation. That's because ADSL has 256 "tones" or channels,
while ADSL2+ has 512.
https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/how-the-adsl-connection-works/2/
The added inductance might cause the higher frequency channels to
drop, but the lower frequency channels and the uplink channels will
continue to work. The ADSL modem also contains an adaptive equalizer
that will partially compensate for the loss in high frequency
channels. You would need to add quite a bit of inductance for the
signal to completely disappear.

From my experience with DSL, most of the problems come from rotten
wire connections and noise coupled from nearby sources. Bad
terminals, mangled connectors, weird adapters, crude microfilters, and
such are all too common. Since the ADSL apparently quit completely, I
would tend to favor a bad connection as the most likely culprit.

It could also be your friendly local telco playing with the DSLAM,
router, or provisioning, which would also make the internet disappear.
I had this happen to me recently which caused me to go through
internet withdrawal for about a week.

There's also the possibility of local interference. Running the phone
line parallel to power lines or other services that use the same
frequency range, such as T1, can cause problems. I had someone in
another newsgroup ask why her internet would disappear at night. I
turned out that when she turned on the lights at night, the associated
noisy light dimmer would couple enough junk into the phone line to
kill the DSL signal. Rewiring the DSL to a "home run" configuration
solve the problem. If the coil of wire were sitting on top of a
length of lamp cord attached to a light dimmer, or switching power
supply low voltage light, or LED light bulb, you're likely to see some
noise coupled to the coil. Even though the balanced pair offers some
noise immunity, the lack of a twisted pair (as in CAT5 cable) in most
flat phone cords, can make the common mode rejection less effective.

I would look for a bad, loose, intermittent, or corroded connection
somewhere in the phone line.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D