Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,sci.electronics.repair
Mike S[_4_] Mike S[_4_] is offline

Default Folded phone line can mess up DSL.

On 5/13/2018 6:35 AM, Tim wrote:
Mike S wrote in news
On 5/12/2018 9:52 PM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 13/05/18 14:34, Mike S wrote:
On 5/12/2018 8:22 PM, Jason wrote:
In article XnsA8E053B695DAtimothybilyahoocom@
69.16.179.28, says...
Having the wires coiled like that very likely degraded the line
electrical
characteristics to the point that you were getting a lot of
lost/error packets.

Why? Twisted pairs are resistant to interference.

Absolutely, the twisted repairs counteract interference, and each
pair is twisted at a slightly different rate to reduce crosstalk
between the pairs. Here's a simple summary.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-twist...ce-the-interfe
rence-between-the-wires

Yes, but coiling the cable means that pairs (with twist pitch X)
interfere with other turns of themselves (still with pitch X),
so coiling the cable can increase scattering.

Agreed, I used to install DSL and I never did that.

Have you never heard of insulation creep? Under pressure, the plastic
used for modern insulation will slowly flow in such a way as to relieve
that pressure. This can result in direct shorts, changes in spatial
relationships between wires, and other problems. Any of the above will
change the capacitance and inductance of the conductors involved, in a
negative way. Changes in capacitance can cause the digital signals to
round off too rapidly, to the point thay are no longer detectable as
signal pulses at the far end, while changes in inductance can cause
mismatches in impedence that can cause unwanted reflections of the
digital signal, which can also degrade the digital pulses. That is why on
of the first things I was taught about dressing cables was to never pull
cable ties too taut, as that is a prime way of causing both problems,
either in tying up loops or in dressing cable runs.

That all makes sense. We used Cat5e. On a few occasions the customer
supplied Cat6 for us to run, it had substantial nylon wire guides...
it's clear that a lot of science has gone into ethernet cables.