Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim R[_2_] Tim R[_2_] is offline

Default URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop

I don't know if you have any repair resources near you.

I'll tell my story.

I had a laptop with a bad power jack. I went on youtube and watched videos on how to disassemble this brand of laptop. It's a daunting task, they aren't made to come apart easily, and that power jack is very vulnerable.

And then, before I did it, I took the laptop to Staples to their "free diagnosis" desk. They connected it to a universal power supply, one of those that comes with several connector pins. Surprise, it booted right up and charged fine.

Even though everybody I talked to was sure it was the laptop, the power supply was the actual problem. All I had to do was buy the new supply.