Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,sci.electronics.repair
Lucifer Morningstar[_3_] Lucifer Morningstar[_3_] is offline

Default Folded phone line can mess up DSL.

On Fri, 11 May 2018 21:46:29 -0400, ABLE1
wrote:

Micky,
I am not going to answer your question as to why. Don't know.
However, with you alarm system connection you need to place
the alarm dialer as the first thing on your phone line from the NIC.
This is done with a RJ31X block properly installed.
Also, depending on your specific use of DSL Filters the line
to the alarm dialer needs to be a DSL Filtered line. Otherwise
the communication can be compromised. Twisted pair cable is most desirable.

Good luck.

Les

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_quoting

On 5/11/2018 8:34 PM, micky wrote:
The networking ng is dormant so I thought I'd report this here.

Folded phone line can mess up DSL.

I think a couple years ago when I had 100 feet of phone line but was
only using 40 feet, but wanted to save the whole 100' in one piec, I had
40 feet played out and 60 feet rolled on the spool, and I asked here or
somewhere else if that could cause a slow DSL connection. And iirc the
answer was no, but I'm not sure of that.

So a couple months ago I finally finish installing my home burglar alarm
and I want to connect it to the monitoring company via the phone line.
Since my main phone connection goes in via the second floor, to the
computer on the 2nd floor, I go to the NIC and put a Y connector in it,
adding back the original wire to the basement. Somewhere I have a 6"
piece of phone wire with modular plugs on the end, but I can't find it,
so I put in one of the cords that comes with most phone devices, maybe 8
feet folded up, maybe 6 circle's-worth, squeezed flat.

This is some time between Thursday and Saturday, and Sunday morning I
leave for two months.

I got back two weeks ago today and the house and car were just the way I
left them, and the computer worked fine. For 3 or 4 days. Then it
stopped loading webpages, except very intermittently (so little as to be
unusable), loaded email and newsgrooups only 20% or 30% of the time.
People told me to call Verizon, as if I hadn't thought of that. But
they charge about $60 if it's not their fault, and anyhow, the point is
to figure it out on my own.

Check the NIC. It's popped open. It's under a roof but maybe it got
wet. Doesn't look wet. After a couple days with no better ideas, I
decide to unplug things in the NIC to give them a chance to dry, and
only then I notice the folded phone cord (with the Y-connector). Take
it out, and everything works fine again.

But how come it worked fine for the first 3 or 4 days I was back? And
at least 12 hours, maybe 2 days, before I left?