Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Flourescent lamp switch

I think I distinguished between museum-pieces (used loosely) and tools. On more than one occasion, I have entrusted my life, health and dexterity to various tools, such that I would not wish to do so with Luddite-Approved technology. For the same reason that I use modern capacitors, modern resistors and similar when making repairs to vintage vacuum-tube equipment. But, I tend to use real tubes vs. modern solid-state devices - which exist in surprising numbers. At the same time there are occasions where I do use a modern solid-state device such as a VR-based plug-in ILO a 50A1 in a T/O, or a Weber "copper-top" rectifier ILO a 5AR4 so as to preserve scarce and costly original parts. But there is no modification to the original to do so.

Your signs are 'museum pieces'. A lamp is a tool. When I am working on my 'museum pieces', I want the best and most reliable tools I can afford. And I want my finished products to be safe, reliable and fit for present society.. I do not subscribe to the belief that the Louis XIV Chair with rotting-but-original fabric has any value as a chair, as it is useless as such. THAT is a true museum piece.

Horses for Courses.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA