Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default craiglist scams

many ways that scams go on on craigslist

they send a check that is over the amount of the item
they go after high dollar items so they can make a bigger haul

you list your lathe for 4000 and they purposely send you a check for
5000

they say ooops i sent too much can you send me the 1000 back
or maybe even say send me 950 since i caused this problem

of course their check is no good

best way to handle this is only take cash
or if the check is written on a bank nearby take the check to that
bank

the bank will tell you right away if it is real

some sellers will actually accept a check and give the buyer the
lathe and pay them the over amount

losing a lathe and cash

if i am offered a check in person i say sure
i will drive us both to that bank right now and we can cash it together