Posted to sci.electronics.repair
J.B. Wood[_2_] J.B. Wood[_2_] is offline

Default Flourescent lamp switch

On 5/3/2018 8:16 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
The switch mechanism cracked in my magnifying lamp. No ballast. Just a
momentary and a latching switch combined, that feed the 4 terminals on
the tube. The equivalents I find are around $20. Must be a cheaper
source. Physical shape doesn't matter much, since the hole can be
enlarged.

Thanks.

That's a special purpose switch that combines the function of a
glow-starter and on/off. Not a common hardware store stocked item. I've
an old 15" tube desk lamp like that and it has an inductor (coil)
ballast in the base. Are you certain yours doesn't have an inductor or
electronic ballast? I've never seen a fluorescent lamp fixture without
one. As for the bum switch - one alternative to a new switch would be
to wire in a glow switch, space permitting, and replace the defective
switch with just an on/off one. You might have to extract the glass
envelope glow switch from its plastic or metal can. You'd also have to
determine the current rating of the required glow switch. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: