Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TIP: avoiding dried up/blocked ink-jet carts

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 21:45:10 UTC+1, wrote:

Speaking of planars, I would like to at least hear a pair of Quad ESL-63s.. There's something I might buy if I hit tho lotto, not a new car for sure. But I don't play because it is a sucker bet.

I had some ideas for electrostatic speakers, could have worked but I found out it had been tried. I guess it wasn't worth the trouble sonically. I was going to take some 6MJ6sw or other horizontal output tubes and run them stacked and bridged to eliminate all the transformers, making it DC coupled.. I think I would have had to run them stacked in series (like an Ampzilla) to get the required voltage. not a cheap undertaking but neither are ESLs in the first place.

Ever see the schematic for the ESL-63s ? Thing has a delay line with several taps. It is said that the sound is like it is coming from behind the speaker, that's probably why.

Some say those Maggies lack bass. I found them not to be "heavy" by any stretch, bit not really lacking. For my use I would have used subwoofers with them, but I am a bass freak.

ESL57s are pretty awesome, though I wouldn't say they look good.

Would you really need to stack LOP tubes?
Static speakers can be quite simple, they used to get used driven directly IIRC as tweeters in some stuff.

The delay is necessary in the Quads so the treble is a bit more point sourced, and you don't get the outer edges cancelling the sound produced by the centre as the latter passes by the former.

NT