Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TIP: avoiding dried up/blocked ink-jet carts

"I keep speakers made in Minnesota over 40 years ago. The company is still in business, and still sells parts for every speaker they have ever made. I can't even write that about my AR speakers. "

What brand. I might be interested in some one day.

I have a pair of AR93Qs that need all the foams and tweeters, I am considering fixing them up. I've heard some good things about them. I DO like the idea of 4 ohms. If an amp can't handle 4 ohms I consider it junk. I used to run a newer Pioneer into 2.3 ohms with a window fan on it for cooling. If you forgot to turn the fan on it smelled like a clothes iron left on too high. Obviously it has no current limiting but surprisingly it still works. It is integrated but has the ****tiest preamp section I have ever seen.

Anyway, AR was affiliated with Olson's right ? They have been out of business long enough for a military pension. The 93Qs seem pretty nice, side firing 8" woofers and 8" midrange, and the midrange is open back but in a section of the cabinet that is sequestered from the rear woofer radiation. They can use a lower crossover frequency from woofers to mid, which is usually good. And they are a sealed system which I like. Even if they have less bass it is better bass. They are also much heavier than they look.