Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TIP: avoiding dried up/blocked ink-jet carts

On Monday, 23 April 2018 22:32:51 UTC+1, John-Del wrote:
On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 1:44:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

With all due respect, a little research is mandated on this one. "New" microwaves from legitimate manufacturers are lighter, more powerful, and far more refined that those from the Amana Radarange days.

Lighter, yes the cases are thinner. I don't see a significant upside to that, and it makes them noisier.
More powerful? Sometimes, sometimes not. I don't see a significant upside to it though.
More refined? 5 or 10 power levels does beat 2. Other than that I don't think controls have improved any. The old mechanical timers are still common on new machines and quicker to use than digital. One of my digitals is plastered with utterly useless buttons, with the few useful ones buried in among them. Designed by an idiot or someone from the marketing dept.
One thing that does beat the old Amanas is modern interlock safety, in other respects I don't think new ones are a significant improvement.

Oh, yes there is an exception. If an old microwave has no turntable, forget it, those ones are hopeless and a food poisoning risk.
And another... I once encountered one so ancient (pre-Amana) that it continued cooking until the door was a long way open. Not good.

NT