Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default TIP: avoiding dried up/blocked ink-jet carts

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 1:44:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

With all due respect, a little research is mandated on this one. "New" microwaves from legitimate manufacturers are lighter, more powerful, and far more refined that those from the Amana Radarange days.

My brother had an Amana from the mid 70s, back when Amana had a distribution deal with Zenith. Aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd he still has it. In his kitchen. Heats stuff in it. Every day. Never quit... It went from new, to old fashioned, to retro. I think the door weighs 15 lbs.

IIRC our wholesale price was over $500; righteous bucks in them days, but this had an unique for the time feature - a true digital soft touch capacitance keypad.

In 1985 when I got married, the same brother gave me a microwave for a gift.. This was a Litton that was also bullet proof. About 15 years ago when it was already over 20 years old my buddy stopped by one Saturday afternoon when I had the whole thing torn down to clean the beejeezus out of it after my bride entered one extra zero when making popped corn. The smell of badly burned popped corn is only a little less offensive than skunk and lasts about as long. My buddy asked me why I didn't just go buy a new one rather than take the time to clean it, and I told him that this one would last longer than if I did replace it.

Fast forward to three years ago and the computer on the Litton started getting wonky. I finally retired it and bought an Emerson, that lasted a year. I know have a Frigidaire.. We'll see how long this one goes.