Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Any Reason Not To Use A Rockler Cross Cut Sled?

On 4/23/18 5:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 11:13:47 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

You'll notice I didn't say "buy", I said "use".

[...]

The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not there is
anything inherently wrong with the Rockler Cross Cut sled. [...]

If someone *gave* you a Rockler Cross Cut sled and drop-off
table, is there a specific reason (or reasons) that you would
forgo it's use and continue using your home made sled, other
than the emotional attachment to your good ole sled?

Well, considering the source, I think I'd want to check it first to make sure it actually cuts
square. If its accuracy is similar to the pair of the Rockler Assembly Squares
http://www.rockler.com/clamp-it-assembly-square
that I bought about 15 years ago, and returned for a refund later the same day, then I'd say
that's more than sufficient reason not to use it.

Good point, although as long as the fence has room past 90°, making it square should be
simple. The video shows the user cutting off a small piece as part of the setup, so squaring
it appears possible.

Granted, if the gauge is unusable, or inaccuracies have to compensated for, that's certainly a
drawback.

You last sentence could be used as a blanket statement for most of
Rockler's jigs/accessories.

Great ideas for jigs, but when it comes down to actually manufacturing
them, they often fall short in the details. Sometimes plastic just
doesn't cut it when trying to replicate things that other companies are
doing with machined metal.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)