Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TIP: avoiding dried up/blocked ink-jet carts

I just cleaned a Brother.

Has separate ink cartridges, the head stays. It wasn't the head, the tubes were clogged up. The black was actually what was clogged up, the others had air pockets in them. Probably got run too low for too long. I looked around the internet and found out that apparently Windex is safe to use. So I took some tubing, removed the feed (and lost the clip) and blew Windex through the tube. then I fashioned a spring thing to hold what the clip used to hold and let er rip with a bunch of black only cleaning cycles to purge the cleaner and get ink in there.

The ink in the black tube actually looked dried out. I guess that;s what happens when there is air in it.

It works now. The colors don't come out absolutely perfect on the test page but we'll do a bunch of color printing with the new ink in it and that should take care of it. They are obviously not dried up because they work.

My last two jobs, at what they billed my labor you could have bought at least four of these printers with a fresh set of cartridges each, and then some. They would definitely never take another one in once they found out how cheap they are. But I am in frugal mode right now.