Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Any Reason Not To Use A Rockler Cross Cut Sled?

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

You'll notice I didn't say "buy", I said "use".

[...]

The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not there is
anything inherently wrong with the Rockler Cross Cut sled. [...]

If someone *gave* you a Rockler Cross Cut sled and drop-off
table, is there a specific reason (or reasons) that you would
forgo it's use and continue using your home made sled, other
than the emotional attachment to your good ole sled?

Well, considering the source, I think I'd want to check it first to make sure it actually cuts
square. If its accuracy is similar to the pair of the Rockler Assembly Squares
http://www.rockler.com/clamp-it-assembly-square
that I bought about 15 years ago, and returned for a refund later the same day, then I'd say
that's more than sufficient reason not to use it.

(Set the two alleged "squares" on my jointer bed, facing each other and touching at the
bottoms... and measured a gap at the top of nearly 1/16". Repeated on the jointer fence and
the table saw, just to make sure; same results. Repeated that test in the store, too, when I
returned them, in hopes that I just got a bad pair. Nope, they were all like that, and many
were even worse.)

Out by 1/32" over only 6" doesn't meet *my* definition of square. Hopefully the sled is better.

FWIW, I wound up buying a set of four Jevons 3D Squares http://www.jevonstoolco.com/ at
the Woodworking Show a short time later. He guarantees 0.002" max per 6" and according
to my Starrett square it's actually 0.000, which I like a lot better than 0.030...