Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default How to stain oak butcher block island top to look like cherry.

On 4/15/2018 1:14 PM, Deb Alberts wrote:
I have an oak boos butcher block island countertop that I have been
oiling for
many years.Â* Now have darker cherry flooring and would like the butcher
block
to be more of a similar shade.Â* What is the best way to go about this?

paint it.

Oak will never "look like cherry"; the only thing you can do is darken
it but the grain/texture will never look like anything but oak.

Since it's already been finished, nothing will be "taken up" but the
wood to any extent unless take the top down to a raw wood surface again;
and since it's end grain, probably that will mean at _least_ a full 32nd
if not more...

IOW, fuhgeddaboutit...ain't agonna' happen if you have to ask how...