Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Any Reason Not To Use A Rockler Cross Cut Sled?

On 4/15/18 11:44 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/15/2018 10:57 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/15/18 8:19 AM, Jack wrote:
On 4/14/2018 3:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/13/18 7:59 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/13/2018 2:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You'll notice I didn't say "buy", I said "use".

I'll start by saying that I don't need another cross cut
sled. I've made 2 of my own, a large one and a small one.
They work perfectly fine.

The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not there
is anything inherently wrong with the Rockler Cross Cut
sled. Yes, it cost $150. Yes, the drop-off platform is
another $38. Yes, it is constructed of materials known to
be harmful to residents of Califormia. But you don't have
to pay for it and you don't live in CA. (Well, most of you
don't.)

If someone *gave* you a Rockler Cross Cut sled and
drop-off table, is there a specific reason (or reasons)
that you would forgo it's use and continue using your home
made sled, other than the emotional attachment to your good
ole sled?

www.rockler.com/tablesaw-crosscut-sled

Well, it is a copy of the Dubby. If you are going to get it
for free, jump on it. If you were going to buy you should
consider the Dubby. It is larger and you can buy for either
side get both. Mine are almost 20 years old. Very accurate.

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/pro...able-saw-sled/

I guess I should show mine, again. :-)
https://youtu.be/DPg5xdeyCQk

Very nice Mike. I have a bunch of 4x8' 3/4" ceder plywood
painted white from an above ground pool I destructed and made a
couple of sliding tables from it, looks just like the stuff you
used, and wonder if that's where you got your painted plywood?

The sheet I used is actually regular old melamine covered particle
board. I use the stuff for temporary project tables because it's
cheap, flat, bright, and glue doesn't stick to it. I had just
finished a bookcase job and had the sheets from the tables, so I
used them for the sled and my outfeed table.
https://youtu.be/LRgwJzlFrOE

Just a note here Mike. Glue Does stick to Melamine, if you are
careful you can get it off. My old Jet cabinet saw had the same
material for the right extension table, AKA my glue up station.
There were chunks of Melamine missing where glue would drip and a
scrap piece of wood would be placed. ;~) If the glue simply
dried/cured on the surface I used a cabinet scraper to remove the
blob.

Well, yeah, I didn't mean it doesn't stick at all. But it doesn't "hold."
I use a piece of hardwood with a sharply cut edge to slide along the
surface. When it hits a dried glue blob, the blob just "pops!" right
off a flies through the air. It's kind of fun, actually... like popping
bubble wrap.

Anyhow, that is a nice sled, but pretty sure it won't work as you
actually made it yourself instead of spending a huge wad of cash
like some in this group seem to require in order to cut a
straight line. Something about the more you spend, the straighter
the line, or 'I buy it because I can'. I like the 'I build it
because I can' stuff. You can, and did. Excellent.

Thanks, Jack. For me it all depends on whether I have more time
than money or more money than time. Sometimes, I'll pay to buy a
jig or device I need to finish a paid project. But most times, I
do like the satisfaction of building them myself.

True! It often makes sense to build a jig as it can be so unique
that you can not buy one. And then there are times when time is
money and getting the job done on time out weighs the cost of the
jig.

Exactly! I'm actually thinking about buying one of those Kreg cabinet
hinge installation jigs. They look like they save a LOT of time in
measuring/marking and they let you do it with one hand.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--