Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Rechargeable battery question

On Sunday, 15 April 2018 02:29:50 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Saturday, 14 April 2018 21:42:30 UTC+1, John-Del wrote:

I have this device which uses 14 AA rechageable batteries. It was originally shipped from the factory with nicds and a charger.

The instructions show it has two recharge modes switchable from the front panel; recharge and store. The store is a very low trickle charge. Because it's from the early 80s, I'm assuming it's just a current limited charger (dumb charge) as it takes 14 hours to charge the entire group.

I would have like to install eneloops in it, but anecdotal evidence suggests they don't like this type of charge, so I'm back at looking at regular nicads for it.

So, is it true that Panasonic eneloop cells need a smart charger and does anyone know if anyone is making a quality nicad battery anymore? In the old days, I'd buy Sanyo nicads and although they'd often advertise less mah per cell than others, they seemed to last almost forever.

Over here they're banned now. FWIW I had good results years ago with very old nicads, but yeah, the capacity isn't hot.

I also wouldn't ignore the possibility of just using cheap new NiMH, if the capacity is enough.

NT

or it might be easier to ask for a pile of NiCds on ebay

NT