Bryan

Default New Honda HS1132TAS Snowblower engine problems

I am experiencing some problems with my new 2003 Honda HS1132TAS (used
only 2 times).

It runs great for the first 20-30 minutes. Then it starts to run very
rough (as if the choke is on)...misfiring, engine slows, no power, and
lots of black smoke (enough to coat the snow on the exhaust side).
After letting it "rest" for several minutes, it will run great for
awhile longer...and then the cycle repeats.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems? Is this a problem with
the design of this model, or only my unit?

I've spoken with our Honda dealer (who is being terrific), and he said
that he has seen this problem on other Honda HS1132TAS snowblowers.
He said the problem may be that blowing snow is being sucked up into
the carburator and freezing. (Isn't this the exact condtions for
which a snowblower is designed)??? The dealer mentioned that Honda
has a "de-icer kit" available for this model...but if this is a common
problem, then why isn't this standard equipment?

I purchased the Honda thinking that they were "over-engineered", not
needing retrofits to make them work in the snow...

I tried calling Honda Customer Relations (770-497-6400), but they were
pretty much useless. He refused to answer any technical questions
replying only "work with your dealer". Obviously a different Customer
Relations group than Honda Automobiles (excellent support).

Despite my ramblings, my only questions a
1. Is this a design problem with this model (are others experiencing
the same problem).
-or-
2. Is this likely to be a problem with the unit I ended up with?