Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Heat sink grease

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 10:07:46 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 12:13:21 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Should that happen, be advised
that I derive considerable sadistic enjoyment watching others reinvent
the wheel.

Oh, you should, you should!

I do, I do. I positively salivate at the possibility of telling the
experts "I told you so".

Generally, when I "fix" something, I want it to stay that way.

Sure, if I can get the right parts. More commonly, I have a schedule
to meet and am forced to use not so wonderful parts. Using substitute
or recycled parts has caused me grief a few times, but in general, it
works because I understand how the circuit works and therefore what I
can get away with doing.

Incidentally, you can get diamond doped thermal goo:
https://www.innovationcooling.com/products/ic-diamond/
Not too expensive for those who want the very best at any price:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH &Description=ic+diamond

I also want to understand the 'why' of things.

Yep. If you re-read my long and boring rants on proper abuse of
thermal goo, you might notice that I spent quite a few bytes
explaining how things worked and why I do things in some particular
manner. While I believe that everyone is entitled to expressing their
opinions, I usually ignore the one-line "conversations" that have
become the defacto standard of chat type communications. Without
substantiation and explanation, opinions are worthless.

But I have no particular investment in being 'right', or even in
being 'correct'. Just in the ultimate resuts.

I have an investment in being (mostly) right. I value my reputation,
or at least what's left of it after making a few major screwups. If
"ultimate results" means doing whatever it takes to separate the
customer from their money, we need to have discussion on ethics.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D