Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default 22" monitor GNR TS2200WA - info?

In article ,
says...

The heat gun I have is a paint stripper. I use it a lot to shrink heat-
shrink tubing but am reluctant to play it on electronics. And I cannot
find the non-contact thermometer I was sure I had.

Viewing the youtube video I think was meant, I see the same capacitors
have bulges in my power supply. So though I cannot pop down to my local
Maplin (like the youtuber) because they have since gone out of business,
I have ordered replacements, fitted three, and the monitor is now
working!

It is sad that a board clearly marked 2007 already has multiple duff
components (assuming they are duff). I notice that the bulgy capacitors
have cross-scores on the flat end, almost like a hot-cross bun. The
scores recall a burst diaphragm, so I wonder if they are a safety
feature for components which are considered quite likely to fail
explosively! The words written on the items include "VENT", which makes
me think that I might be right...

Glad you got the monitor going. Seems that many of the simple repairs
are just replacing the capacitors around a switching power supply. For
some reason the switchers seem very hard on capcitors. They build up
heat and will vent the steam. Most electrolytic capacitors are not
really dry inside, but slightly moist. When the heat builds up and th
epressure is too much, they burst. That could be the reason for the
scores on the capacitors, not sure. They will have a way of bursting
and venting the steam with a large explosion for the most part.

If possiable you should look at the temperature ratings of the
capacitors. Some are around 80 deg C and some are around 100 or more.
Always get the highest temperature ratings you can.