Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Heat sink grease

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 22:34:41 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 4/12/18 10:05 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
My method of applying thermal go is fairly simple. Find
the direction on the heat sink in which the machining marks
and gouges run. Apply a tiny amount of thermal goo to the
heat sink. Use a plastic razor blade:

As the original Jeff-1.0, I have to agree with Mr. Liebermann.

Nobody agrees with me. Something must be wrong.

Originally, I was in the "blob and clamp" group. But, aside
from the mess that tends to make, I learned that really was
not the right method.

I should start posting photos of CPU heat sink installations on some
of the machines I've seen in my palatial office for repair. I'm now
buying alcohol by the gallon and Q-Tips by the Costco box.

Of course, being the lazy **** I am, what I usually do is just
put a small blob on the part, smear it around with my fingertip
until I have a very thin layer spread over the entire part.
Then clamp it together. It may not be quite as right, but it's
a hell of a lot messy and I haven't had any overheating failures.

Yeah, that works, except that the solvent used in some tubes of
thermal goo seems to remove the decals and painted letters on my
keyboards. I find it necessary to wash my hands after working with
thermal goo. Let's see what the MSDS says:
https://www.chempoint.com/products/download?grade=51854&type=msds
This is cute: Page 6:
Hazardous decomposition products
Thermal decompositions: Formaldehyde
That's odd. It's 50-70% zinc oxide, but the MSDS sheet does not
specify what the remaining 50-30% might be. No odor, so it might be
water, but that should be specified.

As in all things in life, there's a right way to do things, then
there's the internet, which will teach you all the other 101 ways
of doing it wrong.

Welcome to IoT, the Internet of Things (that are wrong). The best
part is that for every wrong way to do something, there are large
numbers of people (like me) who will blindly redistribute the wrong
way when asked. Things tend to look more authoritative when formatted
in HTML than with badly formatted ordinary text using broken English.
Never mind Fake News. Deal with the fake instructions crisis.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D