Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Heat sink grease

"I dont know how this got into discussing Antifreeze,"

I mentioned it, but that was in another thread.

"but you are supposed to mix it 50-50. They claim that 100% antifreeze can freeze."

Whoever claimed that is an idiot. Don't listen to them. Actually anytihng can freeze, but that is not what they meant. The statement indicates they're totally unfamiliar with chemistry and physics.

"(Personally I have never seen it freeze). But I usually mix around 60% AF and 40% water. I dont buy that premixed AF. The price is usually about the same per gallon, so you're paying for water. That stuff is made for people who are too lazy or stupid to mix it themselves... "

It used to be that sex sells, now it is easy sells. This country and half the world is into easy, the easy way out. It has its costs.

As for antifreeze, if there is no water at all in there it is much less likely to form corrosive components. There is a difference in how it cools though, thus :

At the cylinder walls the heat gets intense enough to boil the antifreeze mixture and there will be a vapor pocket in between the coolant and the heat.. It does cool by evaporation some, but that also decomposes the ethylene glycol to some extent.

Though water has better thermal conductivity than ethylene glycol, that is offset by the higher boiling point which means that more of the coolant will be in contact with the heat. Conduction of the heat causes more even cooling than evaporation.

Also, the overall pressure in the cooling system is lower, resulting in less stress on all the sealing components as well as the hoses.

Since I started using pure antifreeze with no water I have never had a cooling system problem. Periodic flushes are unnecessary, look at it years later and it is still green, it never turns brown. It will never freeze in any environment in which you can survive, about 8.9F. It does not boil until 387F, much higher than water, which is what makes it cool better.

There is a car maker that uses pure polypropylene glycol as coolant in some models, don't recall which. It is highly hydrophilic so it is in a sealed system with no overflow or return. It boils at 381F and freezes at -74F. Another uses oil, though I am pretty sure it is not regular engine oil. the thermal conductivity is low so while it would not boil much, it would not remove as much heat and the localized pockets of it hot would probably cause breakdown. It may be a synthetic, I am not sure right now.

Another thing abut the lazy consumer, soem of them don't even read. First of all if they read the ingredients of the **** they buy to eat they wouldn't. But I think stores put the mixed coolant right with the pure antifreeze and people who don't pay attentyion just buy it because they see a slightly lower price. Lkke im a grocery store, you got "tastes like BUTTER", "can't beleive it's not BUTTER". Even paint, want oil based primer ? Look at the label carefully, many of them say "for OIL BASE", "to be used with OIL BASE" etc.

The money game. It keeps the stupidity contest on and people are winning all the time.